80: Sunday

A decent night of sleep makes such a difference.  By Sunday morning I felt like a new woman, with more than a hint of old crone.  I was going to be ready for Rounds as was up, washed, sitting in the chair when the tall Indian consultant called again.  I think he was a little surprised and said what was the difference so I replied “I just gave myself a stern talking too”.  There was the usual conflab at the end of the bed about drains and it was agreed that one of of the abdomen drains could go and that I’d need a new canular as the old one was starting to work it’s way out of my wrist.  More blood tests were called for too.

Nick arrived later than usual with the Sunday Times as it was today that our Dare 2 story was going to be in the Sunday Times magazine.

Sunday Times 3

The rest of the day passed in the routine now well established, breakfast, morning tea, observations, housekeeping order for supper on an I-Pad, cleaning staff… the young girl who cleaned my room was a delight.  We got talking and she was one of the most level headed, down to earth young women I’d met.  She’d finished at a local school and started a training course to be a Teaching Assistant.  As she hadn’t enjoyed it she took herself off to an employment agency and after a three week trial had been employed as part of housekeeping by SERCO.  She told me her hourly rate and that it was more for weekends and bank holidays and that Christmas was the best as “hospitals are open 24/7”.  With her salary she paid rent to her mum, paid back her grandad for a loan for her car, ran her car and saved up.  She wasn’t afraid of hard work.  She also said she loved being on Lynher Ward as all the staff were so nice to her.  A tiny, tiny minority of students I work with are a bit sniffy about the sorts of jobs they want to do when the finish education or training.  Sometimes they think they will walk into a job and instantly become the CEO of a multi-national company.  Perhaps it is bravado as they are not sure what they want to do – they could do a lot worse that this young woman who had a great work ethic.

My blood tests came back and the 2 units of blood had done the trick my HB level was better.  I’d finished my last bag of Saline so was free of the portable stand (so I thought…)  The new canular was a pain as it was over a bony part of my right wrist so caught on things, I’d just have to be more careful.  I was doing my shoulder rolls, lifts and made sure my left arm didn’t go above my shoulder.  I got myself ready for bed and when the Sisters did the handover asked if I could have another sleeping tablet.  My wish was granted and by 11pm, with the obs done, the flap checked I was asleep.  I had been reattached to the very last bag of saline..so the portable stand was again my friend. Roll on Monday, one step closer to going home.

Author: fionaosmaston

I live in Plymouth, Devon with my husband Nick and near my parents Sandy and Sheena. Our three children, Marcus, Phoebe and Miles are grown up. I am a geographer and love teaching Geography. My current role is as an Assistant Vice Principal in an inner city comprehensive school where I lead on coaching and initial teacher training. In August 2017 I was diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma and following a skin sparing mastectomy and endrocrine/hormone treatment I am now awaiting a final reconstruction. These views are my own and writing this story has helped me come to terms with where I am in this interlude of life which has been dominated by breast cancer.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: